Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 65 minutes
Perfect for: Soothing, Savoury, Comforting
- In a large heavy-based stockpot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and the roughly chopped carrots and celery, and cook for 5 mins until the onion is translucent and celery has softened. Add in garlic, mixed herbs, and onion powder, and cook for 1 min.
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel, and place on top of the vegetables in the stockpot. Season all over with salt and cover with 3-4 litres of water until the chicken is just covered. Add the parmesan cheese rind (optional) and bring slowly to the boil over medium heat. Reduce the heat down to low for a gentle simmer, and cook for 25 mins. For a clearer soup, skim the foam from the top of the stockpot as the water boils.
- Using tongs, carefully transfer the whole chicken to an extra-large mixing bowl. Let it rest until cool enough to handle, then cut or pull the skin and meat off the carcass (try and keep the legs intact) and place in the bowl.
- Keeping the meat in the bowl, return only the chicken carcass, the legs, and any remaining skin and bones from the wings to the stockpot and simmer for another 30 mins, until the liquid has reduced by an inch.
- Set a strainer over the bowl of picked meat and slowly pour the soup into this bowl to combine, catching everything else in the sieve. Pick the remaining meat off the legs, set aside, and discard the contents of the sieve. Return all the meat and soup back to the stockpot. Add the remaining carrot and celery and cook over medium heat for 5 mins.
- Season to taste and serve into large bowls, adding celery leaves to garnish. Enjoy!
DID YOU KNOW?
In step 2, trust the process! While it may seem like a lot of salt, it’s the right amount for the eventual soup to come! The vegetables listed in this recipe are merely a guide – try potato, spinach, corn, leek, capsicum, kale, parsnip, or even a cup of dried leftover pasta; they’re all perfect for this recipe.
Share your meals with MasterFoods™! #MFlavourClub