Preparation Time:1 hour, 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
Perfect for: Nutty, Citrus, Spice
- Boil the oranges in a small saucepan for 1 hour and set aside to cool (make sure you don’t skip this step!). Roughly chop the oranges, removing the seeds, and place the pieces in a blender. Blend until smooth and then set aside.
- Preheat an oven to 180 °C / 160 °C fan-forced, and line a 20 cm cake tin with baking paper and get out three different sized mixing bowls.
- In the medium sized mixing bowl, combine the almond meal, spices, baking powder, and set aside. In a small mixing bowl, make the almond topping by tossing the flaked almonds with the cinnamon and cardamom, then set aside.
- In the larger mixing bowl, whisk the eggs and sugar until pale and smooth. Add the blended orange and stir until combined. To this, add the prepared almond meal mixture from the medium bowl and fold in until combined and no dry spots remain.
- Pour the cake mixture into the prepared cake tin. Sprinkle over the almond topping and bake for 1 hour 15 mins, or until a skewer comes out clean. When cooled, serve and enjoy!
DID YOU KNOW?
Most of the aromatic orange flavour is in the rind! However, skipping the first step can make the cake quite bitter. Boiling and rinsing the oranges removes the bitterness, softens the rind, and transforms the orange flesh into jammy goodness.
For convenience, you can boil the oranges in advance, store them in the fridge and bring them to room temperature before completing the rest of the recipe.
Share your meals with MasterFoods™! #MFlavourClub